DECISION EXTRACT /MINUTES OF MEETING OF TADAN /TILAPIA STAKEHOLDERS HELD ON 22ND OCTOBER 2016
1 Dada Foluso Aller Aqua Nigeria ,Lagos Nigeria
2 Odunsi Folorunso Grand Cereals Ltd ,Jos ,Plateau State
3 Prof. Hakeem Bombata Lagos State University,Ojo ,lagos
4 Tiamiyu Nurudeen Amolese Aquaculture Nig.Ltd /VICE President TADAN
5. Dr Tomi Asuni Durantee Fish Industry Ltd Ibadan,Oyo State .
6 Mr Remi Ahmed Choice Fisheries,Ltd /PRESIDENT TADAN
7. Govind Raju Premium AQUACULTURE , Oyan Dam ,Abeokuta Ogun State, Nigeria
8. Rishi Primlani Premium Aquaculture ,Oyan Dam,Abeokuta Ogun State, Nigeria
9 Ajagbe , Saheed Nosiru Mac Agro –Aqua Global Resources /PRO TADAN
10 Dr (Mrs) Charles Oche Fish and Kids/FISON
11 Seriki Bola M. Treasurer TADAN /University of Lagos
12 Adedeji F.A National Secretary TADAN/Crescent university ,Abeokuta /Adfab Aquaculture Ltd 08033135761
1 Dr Adekoya Bola
Meeting commenced at 10.15am with remark from Mr Remi Ahmed (President TADAN).
The highlight of President remark:
1. Most tilapia consumed in Nigeria are imported from China and are sold at low price.
2. Need to discuss Tilapia Business before investment the industry .
3. Need to advice stakeholders on best management practices
4. Need for standardization of tilapia seeds and table size for formal and informal markets in Nigeria
5. Appropriate pricing and quality of Tilapia feed.
3.0 STATE OF TILAPIA IN NIGERIA
Prof. Hakeem Bombata traced personal efforts on tilapia since 1986 when he attended a conference where Israel and Egypt showcased Tilapia culture in their respective countries .
Other highlights of Prof Bombata and participants contributions are as follows:
1. Misrepresentation of the status of tilapia production in Nigeria where artisanal fisheries is sometimes confused for figures in aquaculture.
2. He reiterates the fact that protein requirement of tilapia is lower .
3. Emphasized tilapia culture as opposed to catfish with high protein needs To that of catfish presently being used in tilapia culture in the country
4. The need to focus on all aspects of tilapia farming including marketing/forms of distribution, to avoid pitfall.
5. It may take time to stabilize the industry, but commercial /scientific approaches will get us to sustainable level.
6. The need for standard hatcheries, recommends certification of hatcheries
7. Development of markets for Tilapia in Nigeria
8. Request to send a complaint to Custom Services Nigeria with reference to illegal importation of tilapia
9. Recommended a standard table size for tilapia in Nigeria , following global market size of the fish, and creating a Nigeria Standard which will be acceptable to all stakeholders e.g 450-500gm
10. support from government should be total especially with policy reform that will advance tilapia production in Nigeria.
4.0 STANDARD FOR TILAPIA FINGERLINGS
A benchmark of 0.5gm acceptable to all stakeholders with consideration for underpricing by monitoring and regulation.
Standard by weight recommended. With consideration for the easiest size to transport .
Minimum weight of 0.5gm and maximum size of 2.0gm are recommended for stocking and ease of transportation.
Recommended price for Tilapia Seeds
NOT LESS THAN 0.5gm AND NOT MORE THAN 2.0gm should be N20 (TWENTY NAIRA )
0.5gm to 2.0gm === #20:00 (all male, sex reversed Oreochromis niloticus )
A committee of three was set up to periodically recommend price for tilapia and they includes:
1. Mr Remi Ahmed (Choice Fisheries ltd)
2. Mr Nurudeen Toba (Amolese Aquaculture)
3. Mr Govind Raju(Premium Aquaculture)
Recommended species : Oreochromis niloticus
1. Suggestion on growing of locally available oreochromis niloticus should be a priority for all commercial hatcheries/breeders .This should involves getting stocks from different part of the country
2. Encourage the major breeders to massively push seeds into the markets for Outgrowers farmers.
3. Discourage proliferation of hatcheries
4. CALL FOR SUPPORT TO EFFORT FOR locally available sex reversal TECHNIQUES from pawpaw leafs with reference to past research by Prof. Fagbenro and also collection from the scrotum of goat (Prof.Bombata research work)
5.0 TILAPIA GROW OUT PRICING
The stakeholders discuss at length the present cost of production with the current price of feed (locally sourced from Vita Tilapia Feeds, imported (Aller Aqua Tilapia Feed )
1. Acceptable size for a table size Tilapia is 500gm
2. Production cost ranges from N650 to N780 depending on the availability of the exclusive tilapia feed in the country.
3. With the prevailing situation ,chances of getting a cheaper feed is slim in the short term.
4. Recommended price for table size average of 500gm is fixed for N450 per 500gm tilapia fish .
5. A kilogram of Tilapia shall be N900 in the short term subject to changes with prevailing cost of production particularly feed cost.
6. A committee of three was constituted to periodically discuss and recommend prices subjects to approval by the stakeholders.
6.0 TILAPIA FEED INDUSTRY
Submission of the feed industry.
1. We cannot continue to feed catfish diets to tilapia fish,
2. Tilapia feed requires between 25-32crude protein contents.
3. The items of the tilapia feed ingredients being imported .—soya bean,maize
4. Tilapia fish feed conversion ratio ranges from 1.5 to 1.7 .
5. Vita feed submission : A working arrangement with regards to formulation of feed will grossly affect the price of tilapia feed with minimum order .
6. Advice for the feed industry: to increase capacity, expand production, meet 100% of farmers needs.
7. Vitafeed was advices to work on backwards integration for the production of maize and soya beans in Nigeria
8. Vitafeed have capacity constraint which affects delivery for other type of feed like tilapia but THAT work in progress to address this situation.
9. Aller Aqua Nigeria , started a year ago, plan trial sales before establishing a plant in Nigeria .before the economy went into recession.
10. Aller Aqua’s goal is to provide affordable, quality feed for tilapia and catfish.
11. Concerns raised by the feed suppliers:
a) Why are feed millers not increasing capacity
b) Why are fish farmers not increasing capacity
c) Concerns over materials for commercial feed production in the country.
d) Current price of feed from ALLER AQUA 37% crude protein 2mm for N8500/15kg bag tilapia feed, 32% cp 3mm-6mm for N7500/15kg bag.
Advice to ALLER AQUA and other imported feed company in Nigeria.
a) Start a plant in Nigeria.
b) Engage in integrated backward production of maize, soya and groundnut
c) Contributes to tilapia propagation with Company farms holdings on lakes,dams,earthern ponds .
7.0 ADVICE TO TADAN
a) Collaborate with feed company and other stakeholders for promotion, and market development,
b) Creation of value chain point to value chain point.
c) Carry along all stakeholders in Tilapia in Nigeria.
d) Carry out massive campaign for the promotion of tilapia farming in Nigeria
8.0 ADVISORY COMMITTEE ON TILAPIA FEED
Three man committee consisting of Prof, Fashina Bombata, Dr(Mrs)Oche and Mr Saheed Ajagbe to among others :
a) Advice the feed companies on nutritional requirement of tilapia fish in Nigeria.
b) Encourage local production of tilapia feed using locally available ingredient in Nigeria.
c) Publish material on local production with comparative cost advantage for tilapia in Nigeria
Meeting ends around 1.20pm
Adedeji Fatai Abiodun
Tilapia Aquaculture Developer Association Nigeria.